Friday, April 17, 2009

Baby Drama

Thursday was a big day - my last ultrasound and finally I was going to no longer be "high risk" or so I thought...

I went for my OB appointment at 1:00. Dr. Hank said that I looked good, baby was growing well, and (yipee!!) I was NOT dilated! We discussed the options that the high risk MDs had given me, in particular, having my uterine contractions monitored every week. "I don't want to treat you like a sick person, and I think having you come in that often and getting worked up every time you come in is going to do us more harm than good. Take it easy, I'll see you in two weeks, and at 34 weeks we are going to lift all of your restrictions." To make it even better, he said, "I have a feeling you are going to be one of those patients that despite all the bedrest I am going to have to induce at the end of 40 weeks."

Are you kidding me?!?! I was so excited!! Maybe now I could start feeling like this baby was actually coming, and was going to be healthy... and maybe now I could figure out where I put all those newborn clothes...

My last ultrasound appointment was at 2:30, but because the offices are literally down the hall from one another, I went over and asked if there was any way that I could be squeezed in early, either for the monitoring or my ultrasound. The staff was very accommodating and at 1:40 was settled into the nice recliner enjoying my murder mystery. Scott came in about 2:20 (I had told him that I thought I would be okay for the OB part of the visit) and we talked about names and what a good report I had gotten from Dr. Hank.

We finally got pulled back for the ultrasound at 2:50 and our tech very diligently took all of my measurements and went to see the doctor. Scott and I talked about grilling out and I said I was going to treat myself to a Chik-Fil-A Lemonade (my current craving).

Dr. Martinez walked in. "So, what's new, Ms. Maynard?"
"Nothing! Exactly how I want it to be! No contractions, I feel good - "
He cut me off. "That is not what I am seeing on the monitor. Right now your contractions are 3-6 minutes apart and your measurements have decreased significantly from last week. I am going to have to admit you to labor and delivery for further evaluation and monitoring."

My jaw must have hit the floor. Contractions? Aren't I supposed to feel those?? I mean, when I went into labor at 26 weeks I definitely felt like something was going on. Admitted?? Are you kidding? Being admitted is for people who are in labor.. or in danger of going into labor... I feel good! Besides, the bag that I packed to go the hospital with last week is sitting by my front door! So I said the only inarticulate thing that came into my head.

"Shit."

Fortunately, Dr. Martinez laughed and said "That's the best you can do?"

Scott and I waddled off to labor and delivery (in the same hospital fortunately), I got changed into a gown and Scott went to drive his vehicle back to the warehouse where he works. Carol, the midwife in my OB practice, hooked me up to a contraction monitor and a fetal heart monitor. About an hour later, Scott came in and needed the parking ticket for my vehicle because he had to make the half hour drive to pick up Caleb from daycare.

Within 45 minutes, Carol had decided that I was merely a bit dehydrated which was making my uterus irritable, and that because I had consumed about 800mL of water, I was free to go. I called Scott (who now has both vehicles) and he was halfway to get Caleb, so I had to wait at the hospital for another hour. When he finally got me, we picked up his car at the warehouse, I drove Caleb home and he followed.

We had a nutritious dinner of chicken fingers and potato wedges followed by popsicles. (And yes, I know I'm a stress eater) It was an early night for all of us.

Needless to say, I am back to being put on the monitor once a week and I now have weekly OB visits instead of weekly ultrasound visits. I am still on modified bedrest and I have been told to "Listen to my body". Apparently I need to get my internal hearing checked for picking up contractions....

No comments: