Tuesday, October 27, 2009

New Shoes

I took Caleb shopping with me today.

I should have known better.

The day started off innocently enough. I dropped Chloe off at daycare then Caleb and I headed to Sam's club to pick up "essentials" like, oh, formula and pull-ups. (If Target is the $100 Store, Sam's is the $200 Store. Why oh why do I always spend so much money there??)

I had an item that I had to pick up at Babies R Us, so I drug Caleb along with me. I usually love to browse around Babies R Us, but today I was going to be all business. Emphasis on the was.

As soon as we walked in the door I began regretting the Venti, 1/2 caff, non-fat latte that I had consumed, so we headed to the restroom. Judging by the droopiness of Caleb's pants, he had "relieved" himself earlier, so I brought in one of our newly acquired pull-ups to change him as well. I decided that my bladder took priority, so we headed into the handicapped stall (I mean, really, have you tried fitting yourself and your purse and your 2 year old in a regular sized stall?) I did what I had to do, then I decided it was time to change Caleb. No sooner had I started attaching the velcro tabs to fold the diaper and he started peeing. Everywhere.

Then I heard these words coming from me:
"Stop peeing. STOP PEEING! STOP PEEING!!!"

Like a fool, I held the already folded up diaper under him trying to catch the flow. This of course didn't work because the outside of the diaper is impermeable. Instead, I caused pee to splash everywhere! Finally I came to my senses and picked him up and plunked him on the toilet where he finished.

The aftermath was tragic: Pee all over the floor. Wet pants. Mortified Caleb.

As I was trying to clean up with the completely useless papertowels that they had in the restroom and I said to Caleb:
"Buddy, why didn't you tell me you had to pee?"
"cuz"
"It's okay honey, but when you've got to go potty, you have to tell Mommy, okay?"
"okay"

The primary purpose of the shopping trip had been to buy Caleb some new shoes. We hadn't made it to the shoe store yet, so I began weighing my options.
  1. We could go home and forget the new shoes.
  2. We could go home, change, then come back the 20 miles and get the new shoes.
  3. We could buy some new pants, then get the new shoes.

New pants it was! So, how hard could it be to find size 2T pants in a store that has a plethora of baby clothes?

A. Lot. Harder. Than. You. Would. Think.

As I am pushing Caleb around in the cart, trying to get him to stay seated so that as few people as possible would see his drenched pants. *growl* I come to the little boys section and realize the sign says "Layette: 0-9 Months". Are you kidding me??!? I began cursing Babies R Us under my breath.

After 5 more minutes of careful searching, we finally found A pair of pants that fit him. Paid for them, changed him in the car in the parking lot (I wasn't going back to the bathroom!) and headed off to successfully find a new pair of shoes.

Next time, Scott is taking him shoe shopping.

No comments: