Thursday, October 15, 2009

Definition

During Caleb's nap today, I was able to catch up on one of my favourite reads http://sweetsalty.com. I really enjoy this writer's voice, and I was really moved by her "one day in the life" entry.
She had come across an article written by a midwife with this quote: your birth is the most important event in shaping your life as a mother.

"Really?" I thought.
"Really??"
No, this can't be true.

I have many friends who have had many babies, many different ways. Some chose to give birth naturally. Some had natural births, but not by choice. Some planned natural births and were shocked when they heard themselves screaming for the epidural. Some, like myself, felt that drugs were going to be a good thing, and planned to have an epidural. Some were induced. Some had c-sections. Some had emergency c-sections. Some had babies at term. Some had babies early. Some had babies late. Some had babies too early. Some were shocked that they required interventions like forceps or vacuums. Some were just happy to get the baby out. And some didn't give birth at all, but they are nonetheless mothers.

I look at my friends and wide variety of ways that we have come into motherhood, but in no way do I feel that those that have non-medicated births are better than those who had c-sections. And I doubt that my friends who had epidurals are lesser parents than those who are step-moms. And my dear friends who have adopted - no crotch tearing involved - are still in the root of their being mothers.

How these children came to be in this world makes them no less loved, no less longed for, nor does it make them any less apt to drive us CRAZY. And it does not define us as mothers.

3 comments:

The Morrows said...

i AGREE- the entire event in itself is miraculous and gives us a glimpse of heaven once that baby or babies arrive- no matter how they get here!

Anonymous said...

I love this post! The part about no crotch tearing made me laugh out loud!

LCate said...

You are such a great blogger! I enjoyed reading this! :)