Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I'm trying not to over analyze...

I have a problem.

I have a problem elbow.

I've been suffering (and I don't use that term lightly) from lateral epicondylitis -aka tennis elbow, for 17 months now. And it isn't getting better.

At the beginning, I was able to control my symptoms with ice and anti-inflammatory drugs. There was one particularly bad bout in November of 2009 that I opted to use ultrasound and iontophoresis and it resolved. I mean, completely resolved.

When I transferred from outpatient to acute care, I began having twinges again. I tried stretching, ice, ultrasounds and NSAIDs, but when it didn't get better after a couple of months, I finally gave in and had a cortisone injection. I had immediate and complete relief that lasted about two months.

We had a period of time at my work where we had a lot of bariatric patients and that aggravated my elbow again. Three months later, I was back at the orthopedist's office getting yet ANOTHER cortisone injection, but this time the relief wasn't immediate... and it wasn't complete.

After two months of discomfort, I decided to have someone other than myself treat my elbow. I have been going to outpatient for about three weeks now.... and I was seeing a small improvement until last week. I had a patient who began to fall, and used my PT instincts to catch him before he hit the ground, wrenching my elbow in the process. My elbow is now swollen and sore.

And I'm really scared.

I know the statistics: I know that if you have a prolonged tendonitis or inflammation around a joint that you are more likely to develop scar tissue. I know that I only have one more cortisone injection in my future. I know that the next course of action after the injection is surgery... and that lateral epicondyle releases aren't always successful, and may lead to weakening of the extensor tendons.

I know that if I have surgery I'll essentially end my career as an acute care PT.

I had a long heart-to-heart with my PT, who is also my former boss, and I shed a few tears. He told me that when he palpates my elbow he feels a lot of inflammation and scar tissue. He told me that while outpatient therapy is making small gains, I have a set back everyday when I go to work. He told me to come home and carefully look at my options.

Since my first year of undergrad, I've never wanted to be anything but a physical therapist. I just don't know what my options are right now.

2 comments:

sylvie said...

I sense that you have come to realize that you don't have much of a choice in this matter. It would appear that regardless of your choice, the outcome is similar. Maybe you should take some time to review other possible work options. Life is sure full of twists and turns, ups and downs. Perhaps life would become too monotonous without change. Embrace the new challenge. Hope you can get some relief from the pain soon. BTW I am really enjoying reading your blog!

sylvie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.