Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A moment of sanity

Things have been a lot more challenging this week than we initially anticipated. Last Saturday, I developed mastitis. (This may be an overshare for some of you out there in blog-land, but I am nothing if not honest!) I felt like I had been hit by a truck, not to mention that I had a fever of 102 while trying to care for Chloe and Caleb while Scott was at work. I called him crying on Saturday morning, begging him to come and help me because I could barely drag myself to the bathroom, let alone chase after my two year old. Oh, and did I mention that my MIL was flying into town that afternoon? Caleb was trying his best to be good, but he had the double whammy of being excited to see Grandma and being two.
I've decided that two isn't so much terrible but torturous: it is just Caleb learning how to emote himself. The biggest problem is that he hasn't learned a happy medium between bouncing off the walls happy and temper tantrum mad. He also has not learned to verbalize when he is frustrated versus physically hurt.
Back to the story - so Saturday night Joan arrives with presents and toys for both grandkids. Caleb happily accepts his new Lightning McQueen pajamas and asks to go to bed. He has been coughing a bit during the day, but Scott and I decide that he is probably just a little tired from being so wound up all day.
Wrong.
The next morning, Caleb wakes up with a fever and his cough has worsened. We spend the day alternating Tylenol and Motrin to keep his temperature down, and trying to keep him away from Chloe. I have to say, there is something really heartbreaking about a big brother who just wants to cuddle his little sister when he is sick. Of course, we couldn't let him too close to her for fear that she start running a temp. We kept him home from daycare on Monday because he still had a temp, but fortunately not a fever again until later that evening. Tuesday, we went to the pediatrician: Caleb, Chloe, Joan and myself all packed into the SUV and taking the 30 minute drive to the doctor's office. We arrived a few minutes early and I had to nurse Chloe. No sooner did I get her latched on and we got called back to the office. I was quite the sight to be seen with my hooter hider, infant underneath and my two year old hanging onto my leg as we walked back to the office. Thank goodness everyone was a medical professional - I fear they may have gotten an eye-full!
Dr. Forti diagnosed Caleb with the Croup and a middle ear infection. I was thankful to hear it was viral because there have been two cases of pneumonia at his daycare - can you imagine that??? Caleb stayed home the rest of the week with Grandma and Mommy which really through his routine out of whack, not to mention that he was sick and dealing with a new sibling.

2 comments:

The Morrows said...

bless your heart is all i can say!

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I don't know how you do it with two!! Ben has had bronchitis for 4 days now and it's been totally draining. Add to that a newborn, mastitis, and a MIL...God bless you!